During the Australian summer, a pool is a welcome addition to any backyard and give you the chance to cool down whenever you want. However, there’s a lot more to owning a pool than swimming in it and it’s important to understand how your pool works and what you need to do to maintain it. Like many people, you may also be considering bringing in a professional for your pool maintenance. Let’s take a look at some swimming pool basics and what you can expect when you arrange a professional pool service.
What are the components of a swimming pool?
This might seem like an obvious component of your swimming pool but there’s a lot more to the water than just filling up your pool. It’s essential that the water is balanced to keep the water clear and healthy – this requires regular testing so you can check that the pH is between 7.2 and 7.6. Contaminants regularly such as body oil, leaves, and dirt regularly make their way into the pool which is why the water needs to be filtered and checked regularly.
The pool pump
is quite literally the heart of the pool and keeps the water circulating through the filtration system. It draws water from the pool and forces it through the filter to collect dirt and debris. Not only does it force water through the filter but it also circulates chemicals throughout the pool. The pump comprises of a number of parts including the motor, impeller, and hair and lint trap.
While the pump’s role is to circulate water, the filter’s role is to clean the water and remove dirt and debris. Once the filter has removed all of the debris, cleaned water is returned to the pool. There are cartridge filters, which trap dirt in a cartridge element, and sand filters, which trap debris in fine sand particles.
The skimmer box is where the water enters while the pool pump is running. The skimmer catches larger pieces of debris, such as leaves, and the water then travels through the filter pump. It also prevents the collected debris from floating back into the pool.
What happens during a pool service?
Your pool service will often depend on what you need but you can generally expect that your technician will carry out a thorough clean as well as general maintenance. In relation to general cleaning, your technician will scoop leaves and debris out of the water, empty the skimmer basket, brush the sides and steps of the pool, and vacuum the pool if necessary. They will also test the pH level of the water and balance the pool with chemicals if necessary. Your technician will also backwash your sand filter or clean out the cartridge of your cartridge filter.
Once the pool is crystal clear, you technician will then take the time to check the systems of your pool and ensure that your equipment is working efficiently. Wear and tear can occur over time and keeping on top of general maintenance can avoid the need for expensive replacements down the track. If repairs need to be carried out, your technician can also assist with this – make sure you let them know if you have any concerns such as strange noises or increases in your power bill.
Your technician can also be an incredible resource when it comes to questions you may have, from general maintenance questions to water quality issues. Your technician will be more than happy to help.
How do you find a pool servicing company?
One of the most important aspects of professional pool maintenance
is finding a reliable pool servicing company. This can sometimes be trial and error but there are some ways of helping ensure that you find a good pool company, including:
– One of the best starting points when it comes to finding a pool technician is asking other pool owners about their experiences with pool servicing companies. See if anyone you know has any recommendations to start your shortlist.
Look at reviews
– Once you’ve found a company that you might want to try, go online and see if you can find some reviews. These can often be found on Google, through Facebook and on testimonials on the website. This feedback can give you valuable insight into the reputation of a company.
– When it comes to a thorough pool service, experience is key. Always ask how much experience a company has and ensure that their technicians are properly trained and certified. Also, check that they have the right insurance cover in place.
Find out what’s included
– It’s important that you get a thorough job with your pool service so take the time to ask about what will be included during a general service. A company should be able to immediately let you know what a standard service involves and what the cost will be.
Ask about scheduling
– Flexibility is key with your pool servicing so stay away from companies who want to lock you in to a regular schedule which doesn’t suit your lifestyle. Instead, opt for a company who are happy to provide flexibility and who will work around your needs.
At Pool Assist, we offer expert pool servicing and repairs
to domestic and commercial pools across the Perth metro area. We have a team of experienced and highly trained technicians who are able to deliver sparkling results. If you’re having issues with your pool equipment, we also offer repairs to help you avoid expensive replacements. Whether you want a once-off clean before an event or you prefer a regular fortnightly servicing, we work around your requirements.
For more information about pool service and repairs, contact the team at Pool Assist today on 1300 62 82 62.