You can’t enjoy pristine, healthy pool water without also keeping on top of your maintenance. Although it can seem like a bit of a chore, once you get into a routine it can become second nature. So, how often should you be doing the various maintenance tasks for your pool? As professional pool cleaners, we’re sharing our guide to how frequently you should be carrying out pool maintenance tasks.
- Run your filter each day for seven to eight hours during the summer months. This ensures that all of the water is being moved around and cleaned.
- Keep on top of debris build up in the water by scooping the water regularly, particularly during high use periods. While you’re at it, check the skimmer box to see if it needs emptying.
- Check that the water level is halfway up the skimmer box. The water level can drop significantly in the warmer weather.
- Take a quick look at your pump and filter pressure gauge to ensure that the pressure is normal.
- Give your pool a general clean by scooping out any debris, brushing the sides and steps of the pool with a stiff bristled brush, and vacuuming.
- During the summer months, you should be testing the water on a weekly basis to ensure that the water is safe and hygienic. Aim for a pH of between 7.2 and 7.6.
- If you haven’t been checking regularly, make you check and empty your skimmer and pump basket at least weekly so you don’t place too much pressure on the filter.
- You should be backwashing your sand filter at least monthly in the warmer months so make sure you keep an eye on the pressure gauge. If you have a cartridge filter, make sure you take a quick look at it monthly to see if it needs cleaning.
- If your pool is prone to algae build up, some pool owners ‘shock’ their pool to super chlorinate the water to get rid of algae. If you tend to get a green pool regularly, ask your pool technician if this would be a good idea for you.
How often you carry your maintenance jobs will also depend on factors such as the time of year, how often the pool is used and how much debris gets in the water. If you’re not sure, ask your pool cleaner for some advice!
If you’ve been looking for a reliable pool cleaning service, Pool Assist can help. Our certified technicians conduct thorough servicing and repairs to make sure your pool is running optimally. Whether you want regular servicing or the occasional visit at the beginning of the season, we can find a schedule which works for you. We deliver quality service, equipment and advice for spa and pool owners across Perth.