We all believe we are doing a good job of maintaining our pools, but are we actually?
Here is a list of general pool maintenance tips to ensure you are doing the right thing in maintaining your pool.
- Pool filters should be left to run for nothing less than 8 hours a day.
- Leave your sweeps on long enough to do a proper job of keeping your pool clean, that is, anywhere between 2 and 4 hours.
- If you’re utilizing solar powered energy, be sure to run your pool heating system between 10 am and 5 pm to make the most of the sunlight. If you wish to cool your pool down, run the solar power at night time.
- Aim to keep the water level at the mid-tile line, which is generally in the middle of the skimmer opening for many pools.
- During summer, pools can lose up to half an inch of water a day, so be sure to set a timer to ensure you don’t forget that your pool water is on.
- Run your filter for extra several hours and add a little chlorine if you know there will be a party or large group of people swimming afterward. It is also a good idea to test that your heater is working properly beforehand.
- If you are using a bubble cover over your pool, be sure to let the pool breathe at least once a week throughout the year by removing the pool cover for a whole day. As the hot weather can heat up the water, the cover can easily trap and feed algae in your pool, which can be harmful.