We all believe we are doing a good job of maintaining our pools, but are we actually?
Here is a list of general pool maintenance tips to ensure you are doing the right thing in maintaining your pool.
- Pool filters should be left to run for nothing less than 8 hours a day.
- Leave your sweeps on long enough to do a proper job of keeping your pool clean, that is, anywhere between 2 and 4 hours.
- If you’re utilising solar powered energy, be sure to run your pool heating system between 10am and 5pm to make the most of the sunlight. If you wish to cool your pool down, run the solar power at night time.
- Aim to keep the water level at the mid-tile line, which is generally in the middle of the skimmer opening for many pools.
- During summer, pools can lose up to half an inch of water a day, so be sure to set a timer to ensure you don’t forget that your pool water is on.
- Run your filter for an extra several hours and add a little chlorine if you know there will be a party or large group of people swimming afterwards. It is also a good idea to test that your heater is working properly beforehand.
- If you are using a bubble cover over your pool, be sure to let the pool breathe at least once a week throughout the year by removing the pool cover for a whole day. As the hot weather can heat up the water, the cover can easily trap and feed algae in your pool, which can be harmful.